Thursday, August 31, 2017

Cary "Snooky" Dehm Retires

From the Pontiac Daily Leader

The name “Dehm” has long been associated with racing at Fairbury and many race tracks throughout the Midwest. This Saturday night at the Fairbury American Legion Speedway, Cary “Snooky” Dehm will strap on his helmet and tackle the famed, fairground oval for the last time. Dehm began racing during the summer of 1971 in the 6-cylinder class and soon moved into the late models where he enjoyed much of his success. Winning two track championships, 16 features and the winner of the first Prairie Dirt Classic, Dehm spoke modestly of his accomplishment at other tracks. “I remember winning a 100-lap late model race at Danville,” Dehm said. “Bob Pierce, Roger Long and Tom Rients were some of the drivers there. I found a place to run on the track and they couldn’t keep up with me. “The first year they had a non-qualifiers race at the World 100, I won that. That is still the biggest trophy that I ever got.” At the age of 70, Dehm spent 46 of his years chasing the checkered flag. After his son, Lance, retired last year, Dehm felt this was his time. “It has been a lot of fun, but I admit it can get tiresome working on the car,” he said. “I just didn’t know when to quit. Now that this will be my final race, I hope my nephew; Jimmy will keep the tradition going for a couple more years. “There have been so many people that have been part of my crew over the years. Some of the guys have passed away or just got tired of it. Dave Frye, Dale Zimmerman, Dale Miller, Buck Decker, Bob Livingston, Jim McGrail, Matt and Bob Melvin are some of the guys that helped out. Bob and I have been together for 20 years now,” recalls Dehm. ” I am just thankful everything worked out and can say I have no regrets at all. It has been fun.” For a man of his age, Dehm has no plans of just sitting in the rocking chair. “I am a Legion member and run the hardware store in Chatsworth. I also farm 1,700 acres,” Dehm said. “I am thinking about taking one of my old race engines and using it to restore a 1957 Chevy. I will keep very busy. “In addition to my crew members past and present, I have to thank my wife number one, for putting up with all this,” smiled Dehm. “Guys like Roger Friedman, Chuck Bull and Butch Hixson built many of our motors. Allen Automotive, Mike Vallow, Dave’s Tire and Alignment, Ace Motorsports, Phat Boyz Karaoke and Phenom Apparel and Wrap. Those are my current sponsors and there would be so many to even mention from the past. I am just very grateful for the career that I have had.“ 

No comments:

Post a Comment